4.13.2013

By Any Other Name



Even though my heart will always belong to the Baz Luhrmann adaptation, I'm actually excited to see another Romeo and Juliet coming out later this year.  What can I say? I'm a sucker for this play. I love getting lost in the language and imagery.  The sonnets and soliloquies.   And what wouldn't I give to be able to ask Mr. Shakespeare himself whether he meant it as a true romance or more of a commentary on the lust and impulsiveness of youth??  They are teenagers who've only know each other for a few days after all... probably a little of both. Either way I'm excited to see it, and apparently they filmed on location in Verona Italy, In fair Verona where we lay our scene. It looks to be a fairly strict adaptation of the play, which will obviously be in sharp contrast to the 1996 version--how has it been 17 years since that came out?!  Ughhhh that makes me feel old.

*the song in the trailer is "Skin" by Zola Jesus if you were wondering :)

And while we are on the subject of Shakespeare, I'm very intrigued by this documentary. I had never heard that there was any controversy surrounding his identity or actual existence (a pen-name perhaps?) before.  It's all so fascinating and really, kind of tragic to think that some other anonymous person might actually be one of--if not the--greatest writers ever and we have no idea who they are.  Personally, I'm very skeptical and I hope that's not the case... had you even heard about this?

2 comments:

Lacey said...

oh sister, i didn't know about either of these. I think you can find conspiracy theories on any and all things, like 9/11, landing on the moon, but this intrigues me for sure!

Lori said...

My husband's boss has written books on Shakespeare only being a pen name for several different authors. He even taught a class on it at the U. They aren't in circulation, but maybe I can get my hands on them for you if you really are interested. BUT... as a disclaimer... this guy also thought we were done in Dec. 2012. :)