5.28.2014

Cadence














This is going to be text-heavy and I know it probably only interests me so feel free to turn away now if you don't want the fairly detailed version of Cadence's birth.

My parents had flown in the night before and taken us to a lovely dinner at Cheesecake Factory (nice and safe for the rents).  As we were saying goodbye for the night, Brody remarked about how we'd been trying all the old wive's tales for inducing pregnancy with no luck, we want her to come "just as long as she doesn't come at four in the morning..."

Famous last words.

Sure enough, at almost exactly 4:00 am, I woke up to some really painful contractions. We had already had a couple nights' worth of false labor where I would have contractions for a while, but they would always trail off. I felt like these were more painful but wasn't totally sure. I took a hot shower to see if it would make them stop. It didn't. These were the real thing. After Brody took a quick shower--my contractions were coming about 4 minutes apart at that point--we headed out the door for the hospital.  We had planned to walk, and after about a half a block, the contractions were so painful I had to stop and sit down. Brody ran and grabbed the car and we were pulling up to the hospital in minutes. He dropped me off at the emergency exit and went to re-park the car in our neighborhood. The second I stepped out of the car, my water broke. I started to freak out, I could feel the contractions coming faster and started worrying I wouldn't have time for an epidural ;)  By then it was 6:00 am, they put me in triage and tested to confirm that my water had broken and check how dilated I was (only a 3). Brody got there just in time for that test, which confirmed everything. Then they officially admitted me and put me in a delivery room (hallelujah! the bed in triage was super hard and uncomfortable).  My nurse, Perina, was wonderful. It didn't take long for me to decide that yes I absolutely wanted an epidural. The hardest part was trying not to flinch when the anesthesiologist stuck the needle in. Within minutes, sweet relief swept through my lower body as it took effect.  From there, my body took over and my labor progressed really smoothly over the next 9 hours or so, and it was all basically painless.  The scariest thing that happened during that time was hearing the horrifying shrieks of a woman down the hall who hadn't had time for an epidural.  It was the most terrifying thing I've ever heard, it sounded like someone being tortured.

Brody's parents' flight was getting in around 3:30. Around the time that they checked how dilated I was again ( 9 and 3/4) and said we could start pushing soon, it was really up to me and when I felt enough pressure down there to start pushing.  I hated having to decide when to start, it's still a scary concept. Finally, around 4:00 I decided to start pushing.  I struggled for a while,  pushing for about two hours with some progress, but not as much as I'd hoped.  Apparently a lot of runners develop a band down there and the baby had to basically go around it. Then I threw up. A lot. It felt so good, and afterwards things really started progressing. I remember the number of people in the room getting bigger and bigger. It was happening. At one point, I could reach down and feel the top of Cadence's head. I didn't want to at first, but Brody made me.  I know, it's kind of disgusting to think about, and it was one of the weirdest moments of my life. But it made everything so real. Brody was incredible throughout everything. Nothing phased him. So steady--my rock. After a few more really intense pushes, it happened. She was out, and they immediately put her on my chest. It was insane. This little wiggly thing that had been in my belly for nine months suddenly had a face. She was there and crying. And I was totally overcome and teared up. I think it was around 7:15 pm.

Then they whisked her away to make sure she didn't have any mechonium in her lungs and clean her up a bit.  A team of people were down there stitching me back up, but I only had eyes for the baby.  They quickly gave her back to me. Her eyes were wide open. She wasn't crying anymore, she was just sitting there, content. And probably having complete sensory overload. I couldn't and still can't believe how freaking cute she is. Parental bias had suddenly and powerfully made it's stay :)

The next few nights were kind of a blur. She was with us the whole time (GW Hospital had decided that day to get rid of their nursery), so we didn't get much sleep at all. Nurses and techs and all kinds flitted in and out of the room to take her and my vitals, check on this, etc. etc. Brody was able to walk in his graduation the next day. I was so happy his parents were there to take him and record when he actually got his diploma. He worked so hard over the last three years, and we got so lucky with the timing of everything. Although I was sad I couldn't be there to support him, I couldn't be more proud. It was easily one of the most momentous weekends of our lives. We were so lucky with the timing of everything and how perfectly everything worked out.

It's been a week and a half and we are both completely smitten with out sweet little Cadie bug :)

4 comments:

Lacey said...

such a great labor and deliver sister! i am so happy for you! contractions are a 'B' ! i am so glad everything went so well for you! love you sis! wish i could have been there!

Lani said...

Yay she is truly a doll! I love being able to read about the whole story but it sounds like everything went well! You are amazing and I am so excited about our "twins" it's so fun! Love you sister and I also wish I could be there!

Kat said...

I'm glad you posted this, I've been wanting to know how it all went! So glad you were able to get the epidural in time. Poor lady down the hall, that's so scary! And ho, trying to walk to the hospital? Haha you're crazy. Cadence is beautiful! Can't wait for you guys to be back here!!!

Lori said...

So sweet! I'm glad everything went so well. LOVE her name.