9.11.2009

The Hunger Games



Last weekend, I read two books. Yes, two books. I had been looking for a new book to read when some lovely friends of mine suggested "The Hunger Games" by Susan Collins. I picked it up on the way home from work on Friday at Barnes and Noble.

I was done by about 2:00 the next day.

That night I went back to Barnes and Noble and bought "Catching Fire", which I finished Monday around noon.

I know you must be on the edge of your seat wondering what these books could possibly be about to inspire such nerdiness. Well, the story takes place far into the future, after civilization has reached major technology and inevitably amrageddon/nuclear fallout/end of world. Of course, there were survivors and they had rebuilt a nation--The Capitol city with 13 districts. During the history of this nation, the 13th district rebelled and there was a war, and basically they got destroyed. So to remind citizens of the power the Capitol has over all the districts and what happened to 13, they have the Hunger Games.

A boy and a girl between the ages of 12 and 18 from each of the 12 districts is selected by lottery to participate in the games. The 24 'tributes' as they are called, are placed in an arena and basically they have to kill or be killed. Whoever is left standing wins. And of course there are endless strategies, tactics, sub-plots, etc. I know, it sounds horrific--and it is--but it's a great book.

I really liked the creativity of the plot and the commentary on society. It was refreshing to see a female lead character who can actually fend for herself without the desperate need for a man to take care of her (*cough*twilight*cough), who wasn't an annoying martyr, and who had her own ideas/opinions/independence. Who isn't fragile and weak. Who doesn't become depressed or suicidal when she is away from her boyfriend.

4 comments:

Bethany said...

yes, these are so so intense. Im just pages away form finishing catching fire, dang responsibilities are slowing me down. Cant wait to talk to you about it all.

Lani said...

Oh great now I can borrow them! IF you are going to dinner on sunday you should bring them so I can read them, also I forgot to get my Eclipse book from your house when I was there so if you remember bring that to, Love ya sister!

*Kelly* said...

I'm so glad you liked the books!!! I can't wait to talk more about them at book club next month and I really hope your coming! Don't forget to read "Graceling," it's a mix between twilight and hunger games to me. I promise, you'll love it!
Kelly Dearth

Unknown said...

I'm going to go buy those books tomorrow. I need to read something. I feel so empty with no more Harry potter. Ha ha. If you could just add onto your things that must go throw board games up there for me and our list would be almost identical!