3.25.2011

The Road Not Taken

I know this is the world's most over-used (*and apparently misunderstood) poem, but it I literally feel like Brody and I are standing in the yellow wood of Robert's Frost's beloved work.

You see, we have pretty much narrowed our list down to two choices. On one hand we have the safe, well-traveled road of staying in-state for law school and not going into debt, and on the other hand we have the riskier path of moving across the country to DC and going to GW. And I thought the whole point of the poem is taking 'the road less traveled by' (the title is the road not take after all) but I have to wonder, is it less traveled for a reason? Anyone who knows me knows I love a good adventure--I am my mother's daughter, but $40K/year for tuition alone is a lot of money. Especially when the legal market is struggling so badly. But isn't a possible $100K+ of student loan debt worth a lifetime of not always wondering what would have happened if you had taken the other road? It made all the difference to Frost.

What road would you take?

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Well, I think you should come to GW! I would love to have you here!

(But also, I am not convinced that Frost is necessarily arguing that he made the correct decision like everyone always says. He does say in the poem that one path seemed less traveled, but they were probably worn about the same. And he is, after all, telling it with "a sigh" years later. I think he's more saying we have to make decisions, and those decisions influence where we end up. And we'll always wonder what would have happened if we had gone the other way because that's the way we are. SO FOLLOW YOUR HEART! (to the east coast :) )

Lindsey said...

See that's why I need you, you are so smart and re-reading it, completely right. I have always wondered about the 'sigh'. Thanks friend :)