1.13.2012

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

"The phrase 'No good deed goes unpunished' is a sardonic commentary on the frequency with which acts of kindness backfire on those who offer it. In other words, because life is inherently unfair, those who help others are doomed to suffer as a result of their being helpful." - Wikipedia

Perhaps I spoke too soon about 2012.

Every week Brody and I are in charge of the tutoring program for our ward. There are a lot of at-risk youth that can't always get homework help at home so every week we do dinner and tutoring where they get one-on-one help from a volunteer tutor--most of which come from the single's ward out here. It's been such a great and rewarding experience...

And if you don't want to hear the "downer" part stop reading here.

Last night we had another tutoring session. One of the boys' birthday is today so we had a cake and party for him. Towards the end of the night I went to grab some keys out of my purse and noticed that my phone wasn't in its usual pocket. Frantically I search my whole Poppins purse and didn't see it anywhere. Panicking, I ran and asked Brody if he'd taken it. Nope. So we roused everyone and started questioning them if they'd seen it (the whole time I knew someone had taken it out of my purse because I hadn't gotten it out all night). Miraculously one of the girls "found" it on the floor in one of the rooms. Yeah I was relieved but it was short-lived.

The wallpaper had already been changed and that chizzler had put a freaking passcode on my phone! So I had to restore it to the factory settings last night and lost a bunch of numbers, photos, etc. THEN, the poor kid whose birthday is today found out that someone had taken $4 cash from his wallet and someone had taken his sweater. SO ridiculous.

I was so discouraged last night. Who steals in general, let alone at church, let alone from their friends and people that are volunteering their time and energy for their benefit?!?!

But wait, it gets better.

Today I kept getting calls from an (888) and an (800) number. I ignored the first ones as per my usual, but after they kept calling and I did a Google search to find that they were fraud prevention numbers I finally called back and yep, the little rat-bastage stole two of my credit cards too.

Apparently they went on quite the shopping spree today, but luckily I won't be liable for any of the charges. And I've spoken to most of the stores they went to and almost all of them have video footage and hopefully we'll be able to recognize the thief. We've already pretty much narrowed it down to two people anyway so we'll see what the security footage has to show us.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jaw dropped...... Oh em geeee..... That is so awful! Seriously shocked...

Kat said...

oh wow. that just got a million times worse didn't it... someone is going to have to stand guard over everyones stuff from now on. sorry ho, but so glad they caught the charges and you aren't responsible.

Lacey said...

oh no linds, that is awful! it seriously makes me so sick what people are capable of. and it makes you feel all used and violated and that your trust in society is tarnished and will never be the same. i am so sorry, but i am glad things are kind of working out in your favor, it could be worse, i guess?

Lani said...

ok so I feel bad that people went into your purse and you were hassled with dealing with a thief. But who I really feel bad for is this at-risk youth who is so oblivous to what life is about and learning more than school work at this function. He/She is going to have a very hard life if they don't realize that the only person they are really hurting is themself.