3.11.2013

Eastern Market
















On Saturday I met a friend at Eastern Market and completely fell in love. I wish I had gone sooner (someone, at some point, had told me you could only go really early on Satuday morning--lies!). It's incredible!

It's a huge, outdoor flea market / farmer's market / arts and crafts market.  I was in heaven, strolling through the rows of tents with all kinds of handmade jewelry, antique furniture, vintage posters and prints, turkish towels, antique door knobs and hardware, pillow covers, clothes, scarves, and all kinds of fun decor stuff. Then, there's the food market... with everything you could ever want.  All fresh from local farms and Amish country. It was two hours of pure temptation and delight. Lots of free sampling and friendly vendors. I may have bought a red velvet whoopie pie made with fresh Amish cream. And to top everything off, it was the perfect day outside; 60 degrees, sunny, and not humid at all. I am still a little giddy just thinking about it.  I ended up getting some Turkish towels for the bathroom, I'd been wanting to try them forever and just couldn't pass it up.  (I was also really tempted to buy these Turkish killim pillow covers but I restrained.....for now).

Afterwards, Courtney took me to a crazy little used book store, right by the market, that was like something out of a movie. There were books everywhere. Stacked to ceiling, in every nook and cranny (including the windows). It was crazy, and my claustrophic senses were tingling.  I would call it somewhat organized hoarding.

2 comments:

Kat said...

That book store looks like so much fun!

Natali Thompson said...

What a fun find you have there! I love farmers markets. Oh.My.Gosh! The bookstore is amazing! I would LOVE going there :) Your weather is better than ours!!