12.12.2015

Abby's Birth

It was a week ago today that sweet little Abby Noelle joined our family. After a pretty good night's sleep I woke up around 7:45 to contractions. With Cadence, I'd had a few days worth of false labor contractions so I was sure that's what these were... But they didn't stop. Even after I'd taken  a hot shower.

At around 9:00 am I finally started to track them and they were averaging 4 minutes apart for a couple of hours, getting closer and closer and more and more painful.  Knowing that I had been dilated to a 4 at my last doctor's appointment, I finally relented and Brody and I headed to the hospital.

By the time we got there, I was already to a 7! I was shocked-- it had taken me all day to dilate that much with Cadie. I promptly informed them that I did indeed want an epidural and the anesthesiologist came and gave me some kind of cross between a normal epidural and a spinal block (because I was so close to delivering it needed to be extra fast-acting).  After another nurse came in to break my water, (which only took a few pokes with her finger) she told me I was fully dilated. I was super super numb but after one practice push, they called the doctor in to deliver. It was just Brody, the nurse, the doctor and I in the room this time. And around 2:15 pm and after only three pushes with contractions, she was there! (I pushed for almost 4 hours with Cadie so needless to say, I was shocked how quickly it happened.)  It was such a fast, easy delivery, I am still surprised what a different experience it was the second time around. We were even able to leave the hospital after only 24 hours, which I couldn't have been happier about. I'm so so grateful for the doctors and nurses but I absolutely loathe the hospital.

Abby has been such a little sweetheart, she has been doing 4-hour stretches of sleep already this week and sleeps through just about everything (again, the polar opposite of Cadie).  She's been such a joy and I my heart is so full of love for my little family of four.


1 comment:

Kat said...

Oh yay, I've been waiting for you to post this! That's so awesome that labor was so quick and that she is being such a good sleeper! Can't wait to see the little cutie once the holiday madness and cold season dies down.