11.07.2012

Loved This

*last political post I promise. 

I got this from my brother-in-law's Facebook post about what his business partner said regarding the election and I LOVE It.

My business partner Graydon Stoner wrote the best thoughts I've read in some time in relation to the election. "Best" because I can do much better in the areas he suggests.

"My only post regarding the election:

For all those either gloating that they won, or lamenting that they lost, I hope both sides can identify that there is a serious problem with our political parties. Republicans and Democrats seem to embrace extremism over careful consideration. Each party seems to look out for their own interest rather than the country’s. Each side has recklessly spent the United States to the brink of financial ruin.

Why does each party seem to care nothing about the path this country is on?

Because of us. Look around and you’ll see parents who spend more time with their TV, their hobbies or partying with their friends than spending time with their children. You’ll see children who are more interested in playing video games or watching TV than studying or spending time with family. Everyone seems more interested in doing what is fun and easy, rather than doing what is necessary and important.

Why should we fault our leaders when they are just accurately representing the people that voted them into office?

I’m tired of it. So I’m making a personal commitment to do more to help those around me. I’m going to find more ways to serve. I’m going to look for worthy causes to donate my time and resources. I’m going to take a more personal interest in my neighbors, co-workers, friends, and family.

Just imagine if we all did this. We might not have a government going bankrupt trying to fund social services for millions of Americans or paying for countless wars across the world. If each of us was doing a better job of "impart(ing) of (our) substance to the poor, every man according to that which he hath, such as feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants" then we might see that it is our responsibility to be the ‘safety net’ and not our government’s.

I’m done waiting for change to come from the top down. Thoreau said, “For every thousand hacking at the leaves of evil, there is one striking at the root.”

I’m sharpening my ax."


2 comments:

Kat said...

Love this. My brothers and I were just talking the other night and they said there is nothing that is happening to the American people or the nation that we didn't do to ourselves. The President makes some difference but the true problem is the people of America. Time to get it together!

Lacey said...

it really is good, he is a smart cookie. love ya sis, and am getting excited to see you in a just a few weeks now. :)