9.19.2012

Day 6


On their last day in DC we started it off by going to the National Archives to see the original Constitution, Declaration of Independence, etc.  In the few years since Brody and I came here on vacation, they've banned any photography in the Rotunda where the documents are kept. When I asked the guard how thick the glass is, he said he couldn't give me specifics, but that these documents are more heavily guarded than the President and that in an attack, they were a priority before anyone's life in that room.  So there you go. After that, we headed over to the Natural History Smithsonian where we saw among other things, the Hope Diamond, and where I was utterly horrified by the Titanboa, it was literally straight out of the second Harry Potter, except that it's real.  It really roamed the earth back in the day. Ewwwwwwwwwww.

Then, we headed over to Ford's Theater, passing the IRS, and Old Post Office on or way.  We hurried through the Fine Art Smithsonian before they closed, and afterwards my mom and I went to the National Portrait Gallery.




by the way, is this not the funniest/ugliest thing you've ever seen? Billy D Williams painted this self portrait. Yes, he painted it of himself, and I can't. I just can't.

2 comments:

Lani said...

Oh thanks Dad we all needed that! I also have to say is that Lando Mom is standing next to I love it!Oh my gosh I can't tell you how jealous I am at the fine art pieces I love the French Impressionists.

Lacey said...

so fun, seriously that pic of you in front of the whale looks ilk your hair is "boy" short and i love it! do it, just for me ;)

and yes that last pic of the self portrait is just too funny