9.23.2011

It's the most wonderful time of the year!


Which for me is Autumn and I believe today is the official first day of Fall!!!! And can I just say that I'm extremely excited about experiencing fall on the East Coast for the first time? I can't wait for the leaves to start changing, among a myriad of other fall loveliness including:


  • Tights, tights, tights. I may have bought about 4 pairs the other day including a rusty-red cableknit, a solid deep forest-green, and a gray and beige in a lovely herringbone pattern.

  • Boots. My favorite pair have been stashed away all summer and I couldn't be more excited for the temperatures to drop a little so I can bust them out.


  • Hot chocolate. Is there anything better than cozying up in a soft blanket, with a mug of hot chocolate and a good book?

  • Apple-picking. I won't lie, this hasn't exactly been a tradition for me, but I've been told that there are some gorgeous orchards in the Shenendoah's and I think this is going to be new tradition. At least for the next three years :)


  • Scenic drives. I haven't driven a car since July. After getting pulled over on our very first night in the city (luckily she let me off with a warning), I banned myself from driving in the District, and although for the most part I've really enjoyed our new pedestrian lifestyle, I'm looking forward to some scenic drives with Brody. Perhaps to Foamhenge?


  • The shows are back on! Finally. Although the only channel we are able to pick up with our digital antennae is NBC, luckily we have Hulu to catch up on the rest.

  • Soup. I love a good soup, especially for lunch. There is nothing better to warm up after a brisk walk in the cool Autumn air.

  • Scarves. And I'm not even close to a hipster. I just love being able to layer and bundle-up.

  • Plaid. Tweed. Houndstooth. Leather. Corduroy. Wool. Nuff said.


  • Quilts. I love, love sleeping in a cold room, but being toasty warm under my duvet and quilt. Although it does make it twice as hard to get up in the morning.

  • "They call it, Cashmere." Now I definitely don't own a lot of this fantastic fabric, but I love that the weather finally justifies it.

  • Halloween. It's just the greatest isn't it? However, I am a little shamed to admit that I haven't given my costume as much thought this year (I usually like to start planning in the summer), but I'm debating whether Brody and I (mostly me) could pull-off Don and Betty Draper...


  • And you really can't forget Thanksgiving, although it will be sad this year not to spend it with our families but I'm sure some form of Skyping will be in order. I'm not really sure whether I should even attempt to cook a turkey. That could be interesting :)

  • Pumpkin Patches! I'm betting there will be some serious pumpkin patches in Virginia with my name on it.

  • Pumpkin Pie. This may just be bittersweet this year though because I've yet to find a pumpkin pie that comes close to my mother's. Just saying.

2 comments:

Chad and Clair said...

Yes to everything you said. I couldn't be more ready for fall too. And FYI there may or may not be a picture of you in my last blog...just saying.

Kevin, Lani, Connor and Crew said...

It really is the most wonderful time of the year. It is so exciting and I am jealous that I didn't get to watch "You've got mail," with you. It still too warm during the day to get boots on but the evenings are dark and the air is crisp I love it. Check out my blog I put a bunch of new pictures from our trip to Idaho.