8.15.2012

Lunching at "The Mess"



When Brody told me we were going to eat lunch at the White House "Mess" (as it's referred) I was picturing a large, cafeteria-style setting with hords of staffers and neon lighting located in the New Executive Office Building.

I should have known better.

The White House "Mess Hall" is a small, intimate, stunning room, with wood-paneled walls, leather tufted chairs, and beautiful paintings of ships and nautical memorabilia as a nod to the US Navy, who runs it.  It's sit-down, silk-napkin, fresh flowers, White House-style dining, in the actual West Wing of the White House.

As in, we walked by the Situation Room on our way there...






This Situation Room

So needless to say, my celebu-senses were tingling the entire time, and although we didn't really have any VIP run-ins, it was an incredible experience.  The food was delicious, and the company was as pleasant as you could hope for.  We were the guests of Mr. Ben Tucker, Deputy Director of State, Local, and Tribal Affairs who runs the office for Brody's internship. He is a Presidential appointee and was so gracious to let us dine with him.  I was too nervous to take any pictures--and I didn't know if it was even allowed--so I'm using the wonder of Google for all of these pictures (except the first two).

When we approached the first security station and I handed them my license, the guards promptly entered my info in their system and found out that whoever had enter my info had reversed the date of my year of birth so that it read 1958 instead of 1985! Not the gravest of mistakes but usually enough to make it so you can't get in. But they made a call, spoke to someone, and luckily, let me in. Mr Tucker said I was very lucky, as they usually won't permit someone to come in when that happens--I was really relieved.

Next, we came to the second security station where I presented my ID again, sent my purse through the xray and stepped through the scanner. I was issued visitor credentials and we made our way to the West Wing entrace. It was crazy!  Upon entering, you pass a small reception-looking area and head down a small stairway and make a left to get to the mess (you go right for the Situaion Room). Eeek!



















It was beautiful, and not at all what I had been picturing. Our waiter was wearing his Navy uniform and the whole experience was just cool. If you ever go, get the Chocolate Freedom for dessert, it was divine.  As we left, they gave us each a couple boxes of Presidential M&M's, and a menu to take with us.  It was another surreal, and awesome experience. 



I just love the picture on the left to show how pretty the room really is, and the one of the right is when the Kennedy's were celebrating an occasion in the Mess in 1963.

I must say, I'm a little sad Brody's internship is shortly coming to a close...

2 comments:

Heidi and Bryan said...

this looks amazing! What a great experience

Kat said...

'if you ever go'...haha you're funny.