8.27.2012

Movie House Monday - The One That Started It All

Since my dream house is basically all planned out and ready to go (I'm still waiting for that call from HGTV/Sarah Richardson to do a season of Lindsey's House), I've decided to start another home decor blog series, honoring my favorite homes in movies and TV. Because it's just fun to dream and scheme right?

Naturally, I had to start with the house that started it all. The house that basically the entire country fell in love with in the 90's, and as such, a large part of the sequel's plotline revolved solely around the house.

I'm talking of course, about the Father of the Bride house.  I don't think I'm alone in my awe of Nancy Meyer's impeccable taste, she's the genius behind such memorable homes in films like The Holiday, Something's Gotta Give, and It's Complicated  (and we'll definitely get to those homes later).  But really, Nancy Meyers is perfection.  To borrow from Franc himself, "She's a genius, okay?" (I hope you read that in his accent). And I just had to start this series of posts off with the one that started it all.

And now, the house.  THE house.

The seed of a generation's idea of a dream home. And even though the movie came out over a decade ago, the decor has aged remarkably well. Of course it needs some major updates, but the bones of the house are timeless.

Those french doors and gorgeous trelis with wysteria...so dreamy 
I love the built-in bookshelves flanking the fireplace
beautiful trim and molding detail in the dining room
Another view of the living room
A very unassuming master bedroom with ensuite bath
Apparently they added those beautiful dormer windows by the time the second movie rolled around, which I love

I love a white kitchen with french doors leading to the dining room
Who could forget the staircase with that trim and window?

The fun backyard and garage area 
Annie's bedroom with those high ceilings 

And of course, who could forget, the infamous Baby's Suite? Swoon.



2 comments:

Mary Ann Pickett said...

GREAT warm interiors. Thanks for the tour!

Kevin, Lani, Connor and Crew said...

I love it, of course and the movie is hillarious. I totally see you guys in a house very much like this one some day.