8.02.2012

What Happened to the Perfect Score?


















(tell me those aren't the faces of two judges that just witnessed perfection)

Sorry for the lack of posts, it's been a very busy week around here, not too mention the fact that we've basically been glued to the Olympics every night from 8 pm to midnight.  I. love. them. I just love them...although watching them with Brody McScrooge--the Grinch who stole the Olympic Spirit, has opened my eyes to some of the less-than-desirable coverage and editing choices of NBC.  But I'm still watching every single night.  And I've definitely teared up and gotten misty at least once every night too, I can't help it.  When the women's gymnastics won the team gold, and those poor little lambs from Russia were balling it was just such an emotional rollercoaster, and don't even get me started on the swimming.

But I do have some critiscisms that will make Brody proud. 

I will never understand when people don't act in their own self interest. Not because they're being noble otherwise, but because they are just being stupid.  Like the gymnastics judges. Other than every four years at the Olympics, you don't see or hear about gymnastics.  And if you do, it's usually about some scandal about bribery and judges.  They need as much excitement and positive press as they can get.  So you can see why I was so surprised that during the men's team final, they went back and changed the scores for the final Japanese athlete after their coaches submitted some formal complaint thing and a $100 bill, thus changing the medals for everyone.  In one fell swoop, (and on the sport's greatest stage) they basically solidified the fact that judged sports are ridiculously subjective and that if they were wrong on that score, who's to say they aren't wrong each time? I mean really....think about it.  Why wouldn't you stick to your guns, and for the good of your sport, stand by your original scores?

And then they did it again.

I can't tell you anything about Nadia Comaneci, except that she was the first gymnast to score a perfect 10 in the Olympics.  Everyone knows that.  Everyone knows that Mary Lou Retton also got a perfect 10.  On those rare occasions that they've given a perfect score, it creates excitement and enthusiam for their sport...which it so desperately needs. So why, oh WHY didn't they give McKayla Maroney a perfect score the other night on her vault? It was perfect.  Even the annoying commentators thought so.  Even they couldn't understand where these judges pulled almost three-tenths worth of deductions from. It blows my mind.  Why wouldn't the judges put aside whatever personal feelings they may have for the US, or whatever their reasoning was, and, for the good of their sport, give the girl the perfect score she deserved?? Ammiright? I mean, tell me this isn't perfect...

1 comment:

Kat said...

ahhh it won't let me watch the clip!