8.11.2011

Busy Bee


Brody was at scout camp all last week which was an interesting experience for me. Not because he was gone, but because it was the first time I was really on my own here. In a city where I know very few people. And although I wasn't thrilled about him being gone for his birthday, I kept myself very busy...

After getting off work each night I would come home and get the itch to do something around the apartment, you know when you just get an idea in your head and can't rest until it's done? So, on Monday night I painted the rest of our kitchen--the previous tenant had painted one of the walls grassy green and the rest were a light buttery yellow (so ugly) so I painted them all a nice light greige that we had used for the rest of the apartment. We used the paint/primer and it worked like a charm, we only needed 2 coats to cover the red and purple.

Tuesday night I went and got some paint at a hardware store in capitol hill and painted our Ikea rug we got a month or so ago. After about ten minutes of the guy at the hardware store looking at me like I was crazy to paint a rug, he finally sold me a quart of Benjamin Moore's Newburg Green, which is actually a really nice blue color which I used to paint a lovely striped pattern (surprise, surprise) using this Lands End rug as inspiration.


Wednesday night I decided I couldn't live with the grassy green color of our bathroom from the previous tenant so I just mixed some of the paint in our pantry from the previous tenant, mixing purple, green and a light cream color) it turned out to be a nice chocolately-milk color (and it was free which makes it just that much better).

I didn't take a picture of the green bathroom, but it's the same color as this wall in the kitchen

Thursday night I painted all of our mis-matched dining chairs with a base coat of more of the cream color from the pantry, and Friday night I painted them all white (which I again found in the pantry) and switched out the upholstery to some burlap I had. And by the time Brody got back on Saturday, just in time for our anniversary, he came home to a very different apartment :) Of which you will have to wait and see the full glory of the before and after photos, but here are some ugly before's

The horrific green in the kitchen, and the entire bathroom was this color too


The ugly red/ buttery yellow bedroom


And the purple/red living and dining room.

3 comments:

Lani said...

I love that you painted the rug it looks awesome and you are such a tease by not showing the afters. I am glad you are keeping busy and I am glad you are making it more like home. Love you sister and miss you lots. I hope Brody had a good B-day.

Kat said...

the carpet turned out really good! hurry up with the apartment pictures already ho, I want to see them!

Lacey said...

you are so funny, i really want to see those afters! i love the rug though, love the color blue.