8.23.2011

Earthquake



So I just experienced my first earthquake. I was sitting quietly at my desk at work when I heard a rumble and felt a slight vibration. My first thought was that it sounded like a huge group of people on the floor above me must be running down the hall. But it got stronger and the whole building started shaking kind of violently and I realized it was really an earthquake and I had that oh crap moment of this is real. my family will be so sad if something happens to me.

okay. remember back to elementary school when they taught us what do to in an earthquake....get under your desk, or is it a doorjamb? Or do I put my head between my knees? I felt my desk to feel how sturdy it was and decided to go to a doorjamb of one of the surrounding offices as I heard various expletives from my co-workers down the hall, and heard something fall from a shelf in a nearby office. And then the shaking got softer and turned back into a slight vibration. And then it stopped, and I could still see a street lamp out of the window swaying. It lasted maybe 45 seconds. We all looked at each other with a wow that really just happened expression, not really knowing what to do. I texted Brody to see if he was okay (he was of course), and then the building manager came down the hall and ordered everyone to evacuate. It was kind of crazy to be looking up and down K street and see everyone on the street, cell phones in hand, texting and tweeting away. In a matter of seconds we figured out that people had felt it all the way from Connecticut to North Carolina (thanks to facebook). Gotta love technology in times of "crisis".

It was quick, and really not too bad, I don't think any buildings were damaged and I don't think anyone got hurt. The media is totally blowing it out of proportion, this made me giggle


the extent of the DC Earthquake devastation :)

2 comments:

Lani said...

um, wow sister you are experiencing all sorts of new things! I am, of course, very happy that you are ok. And yes we would all be devastated if anything happened to you. Love you.

Lacey said...

how crazy. i have always wondered what an earthquake feels like, but don't really want to find out. i think to myself all the time, what would i do if an earthquake hit right now. anyway i am so glad everything is ok and that the lawn chair tip over is the worst thing that happened. :)