8.02.2011

The Golden Mean


I remember sitting in a history class in high school learning about Aristotle and his theory about the Golden Mean, which is essentially the "desirable middle between two extremes". I think it was Mr. Haye's class, and unlike so many other lessons from high school, this one has always stuck with me. I have always remembered it and tried to keep my action, opinions, etc. within that golden realm. Tried being the keyword there (not to mention the golden ratio, which is also key for design and photography, but that's a little off topic)...
Living in Washington, particularly this week with all the craziness around the debt deal, and working with highly educated, extremely well-informed individuals, I've learned to appreciate just how right Aristotle was. I've also learned that when it comes to politics/policies/parties/etc. there is no "good guy". I've never had good feelings for politicians and in the past, and have really just tried to stay out of it altogether. I still hate politics, but living here you really can't get away with 'staying out of it'. You live in it.

That being said, it's really become clear to me there there is no right and wrong, there is only bad and worse. No one party or piece of legislation is all good or all bad. For example, I love the environment, I'm all about re-usable energy, recycling, all of that good stuff. But I also drive a car, use electricity constantly and really don't want to pay more than I already do for those goods and services. So you have to compromise. Just like those fools on the hill have to compromise. And luckily they finally did, and as disheartening and sometimes scary as extreme partisan politics can be, it's comforting to know that, that is how the government is supposed to be. The founder's set up the Constitution to purposely make it difficult to change or enact new laws, so that one party or person doesn't have more power than they should. They did that so that things would usually have to fall within that golden mean to get passed. And that makes me feel a little better.

And because, what would a blog post be without a pictures, here are a few snapshots from around the city I've taken with my phone over the last couple of weeks


Dupont Circle on a Friday night


Chinatown

Reagan airport


Capitol Hill/ Eastern Market neighborhood



4 comments:

Kat said...

This totally made me think of the south park episode when they have to vote for like a new mascot or something, have you seen it? "I learned that I'd better get used to having to pick between a douche and a turd sandwich because it's usually the choice I'll have." hahaha love it.

Chad & Clair said...

Amen! Totally agree. I was just thinking I wish I could see Lindsey when I visit Utah in october...and then i remember you weren't there and I was sad. Hope you guys are loving DC (looks like you are!)

Lacey said...

ha ha, Mr. Hayes, just funny. Anyway i totally agree. and i love this country. We really do have it so good!

Unknown said...

Remember when we took a humanities class
Together at the Y! And I accidentally made a really good comment, and the professor loved me? Good times! Miss u! go down to the mall and buy a CIA shirt for me! love DC!