8.22.2011

Happenings


Here are some highlights from our life the past couple of weeks:

Brody started school today! It's so crazy that after so much build-up and anticipation it's finally here and so far he is really enjoying it. The reading assignments they have are really interesting...even to me. I'm hoping to hear some juicy Socratic method stories tonight over dinner

We have learned to check the weather every morning before leaving the house. If you are caught without an umbrella (or in the wrong color top, this hasn't happened to me I've just seen other unfortunate women on the street) just imagine dumping a giant buckets of water on your head. That is what you'll look like.

Shopping using the metro is a good way to curb your spending. You can't buy more than you can carry. Literally.

I saw the greatest thing ever at Target. The store here is two levels and they have this crazy escalator thing for your cart! and you ride ride next to it on the normal escalator. I had to take a picture, I couldn't get over it.


When I was coming home from Target I got caught at the Dupont Metro in a downpour. I had an umbrella, but also two big shopping bags worth of things that couldn't get wet. So I waited, with about 50 other people, while a street performer serenaded us with Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" and an 80-year-old man starting hitting on me and telling me he liked my new lampshades (you can actually see them in the picture of my cart). Is there anything more awkward than inching away from a person only to have them inch closer? I eventually just called Brody who saved me by bringing a plastic garbage sack for the Target stuff and we ran home in the rain. Umbrella's are really only good for keeping you dry from the waist up in that kind of rain.

I got crafty and mod-podged a vintage map of DC onto some canvas to go above our headboard-less bed.


Brody's bike got stolen out of a garage, where it was locked and chained. ridiculous. The good news, if there is any, is that it really only cost us about $65, and supposedly there is video surveillance of the garage. So we are hoping our building manager can find our the culprit because it has to be someone with access to our building. So sad, but could have been worse.

My lovely friend Patricia and I stumbled onto a charming little second-hand bookstore in my neighborhood and I may have found the perfect present for my mom for Christmas.

On that same jaunt with Patricia I though I was going to witness my first mugging, when we heard a deafening bang! but it turned out that a girls tire had just blown out on her bike, just as we were passing this flower street vendor.

We found out that if Romney gets elected in 2012, he will be in our ward because technically, the White House is in our boundaries.

I found out that to get my hair done at a beauty school here, a cut is $18. Awesome. Highlights? $70. Pretty ridiculous for a student haircut. I don't even want to know what a salon would cost.

We finally figured out how to hide certain individual's wall posts on facebook without actually un-friending them (thanks to Bill). How did I not know this before?!

I think we live in the hipster mecca of DC. A guy was acutally handing out free stick-on mustaches the other day at the metro. They try so hard to seem like they aren't trying at all don't they?



5 comments:

Adrien said...

yes!! i loved that thing at target! i seriously wanted to go up and down with my cart just to play with it, haha.

oh and ew about the mustaches.

Lacey said...

the target cart carrier things is amazing! i wish i was there to enjoy it with you! i miss you sis! i love your old maps! so cool! what is the black around them? i need ideas for art in my house.

Kat said...

haha hey i like your lampshades...that just sounds so wrong. i love it. they have escalators kindof like the target one here, except you ride down with your cart. pretty sweet. and your maps are awesome, good job ho.

Ali said...

I'm obsessed with your new map headboard -- you're a genius. This makes me so excited to see the rest of your apartment!

Lani said...

oh yes the map headboard is amaazing! I meant the two "a's" for emphasis. Best idea ever, where did you get the old map? I also love the inching away from creepy old guy how funny. I love you LInds my little city girl.