10.28.2011

Fantasyland Friday: The Living Room


Ah yes, the formal living room, sitting room, parlor, whatever you want to call it. In my fantasyland dream house, it's across the foyer from the office, (I much prefer an open floor plan). Again, I would love lots of windows, perhaps a large bay window with a built-in for extra seating, perfect for framing a glowing Christmas tree in the winter, I think this may root back to my childhood. I loved just sitting in my parent's living room around the holidays, looking at all the the different ornaments on the tree my mom had collected over the years, while snow drifting down from the sky, silohuetted against the golden light of the streetlamps. A fireplace would be lovely as well, for stockings and cozying up with a book on cool winter nights. And built-ins on either side for extra display and storage.

Other than Christmas, the formal living room was pretty much the most boring room in the house growing up. It was where the nice furniture was, as well as the piano which I dreaded having to practice, and the room was usually reserved for sitting through home teacher visits. But since I am my mother's daughter, I would love to have a piano in my formal living room someday, perhaps framed in the bump-out bay window the rest of the year (is it too morbid to call dubs on the parent's piano sisters?). I am all about hardwood floors of course, after renting for so long, I really just see carpet as one big dirt and bacteria sponge. And I love the idea of an ecclectic mix of furniture pieces for the front living room that aren't as adept for lounging and comfort. Like a chesterfield sofa, a backless sofa to keep the eye-line open, and perhaps a pair of wingbacks flanking the fireplace.




Of course, comfort is always paramount, and I always prefer a calming, neutral color scheme with a balance of textures and materials ranging from leather and unfinished wood, juxtaposed with a silver leaf dresser or nailhead trim.





2 comments:

Lani said...

Love it all and the Piano is Brent and Terry's so you would need to go through them to get it I beleive. Second I absolutely love all the windows and I have to say a fireplace is a must have for me in my fantasyland dream house. I love love love the picture with the four chairs around a circular table so fun and cozy for when all of us (sisters) get together and just want to talk. Anyway love it!

Unknown said...

Where can I find that backless sofa??