10.24.2011

The Local Vernacular

Every place has it's own language and customs, and DC is no different. I used to think Utah had a lot of abbreviations, (or as my college friends used to lovingly say 'abbreves'), but DC is the official land of acronyms, (which really shouldn't be that surprising, considering D.C. itself is an acronym) but it's insane, there is an acronym for just about everything.

Here is just a sampling of some of the acronyms I've learned so far; HOB, SOB, EPA, DOE, DOJ, OMB, DOD, MACT, CSAPR, CAIR, CKRC, OSHA, NAR, EEAP, DCA, BWI, T&E, LDA, NOX, SO2, PM, CIS, NESHAPS, NSPS, WCMA, WCSC, PRG are you annoyed yet? Because that's just what I can remember off the top of my head.

Another thing to note if you ever visit, always stand to the right on the metro escalators. If you want to walk up them or pass people, go on the left side (just like driving). People will get seriously annoyed if you are blocking the left side traffic.

"The DC bump". Brody and I had a sort of bapitsm by fire with this one. It was our second morning in the city, the day we were moving in. We had just parked in front of our new building and were talking in the front seat of our car when a guy parllel parking in front of us totally bumped our car. Yes, while we were sitting in it. Really?! So after giving him a 30-second window to get out and apologize, naturally I walked right up his window to let him know because surely he must not have realized, "Um, you just hit our car." I informed him with what I hope was a blatant you-moron look on my face. He shrugged and said "sorry" in that I-really-couldn't-care-less tone. Our car was totally fine, but I was still bugged. But apparently it happens a lot, I've seen it maybe 6 times since then while walking around.

Potomac Fever. The elusive "Potomac Fever" refers to people who move to DC and completely fall in love with it. I'm pretty sure Brody had a case of it on his mission. It typically refers to people who initially plan on living here short-term, only to still be here 30 years later with roots firmly planted. I have no doubt our families back home are praying we don't catch this one ;)

K Street. It's a thing. All the big lobby/law firms are on K Street. Yours truly works on K street.

The Beltway. The beltway is the 495 freeway that makes a complete loop around the District. If you live "inside the beltway" than you can really say you live in DC. It's also the one with the fantastic view of temple when you are heading west on the northern end of 495.

For me, the craziest thing about living here is how you kind of forget where you are, until you are crossing the street and look up to check the traffic only to see the Washington Monument glowing in the sun. Or if you are on a walk with your hubby and non-chalantly look down a side street, only to unexpectedly see the back of the White House. Pretty awesome.

2 comments:

Kat said...

did you really just learn the acronym SOB? seriously ho...

Lindsey said...

Okay in this context, SOB refers to Senate Office Building, but it's a fitting coincidence